Another year, another slew of trends to come and go. Love ’em or hate ’em, most social media trends these days seem to be driven by good ole gen Z (love you, you youngsters), and like with most trends, it’s hard to ignore them, even if they are slightly ridiculous, over the top, or just plain mind-boggling (looking at you, comeback of the all-white platform-esque FILA sneakers).
As small business owners, we’re able to adopt, adapt, and move forward with the various marketing, style, and culture trends more quickly than a much, much, much larger or corporate business. Some may even argue that it’s the more nimble of businesses and buyers that really drive the trends in big biz forward.
Which brings us to… our top marketing and trend predictions for 2022!
Read on for our predictions and let us know what YOU think!
2022 Marketing Predictions for Small Businesses
- TikTok – I sort of hate to admit this because I low-key still don’t understand how to fully operate this app (is my millennial showing?) but I recently read that TikTok is on its way to becoming a trillion-dollar company. Any business that has that number attached to it isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. However, if you’re like me and TikTok doesn’t feel authentic to you and your brand – personally, I wouldn’t force it. On the other hand, if you think it’s your prime audience or customer – it’s probably worth the buckle down to learn the ins and outs of it and go for it.If you’re a small biz and wondering “how on earth can I use TikTok to grow my business,” then check out these TikTokkers below:- Lish Creative – BossUpCosmetics– Meg Ann Co
- V-I-D-E-O! – On that note, “video marketing is packed with perks and opportunities for business owners. Don’t believe me? Approximately 84% of people say a brand’s video convinced them to buy a product or service. And 54% of consumers want to see more video content from a brand or business they support.” (source: AllBusiness.com) Need we say more? Scrolling photos has officially become scrolling videos, whether we like it or not.If TikTok or Reel-style videos just aren’t your jam, start thinking of different ways you can incorporate video into your marketing.If you’re a product-based biz, how about making the opening banner on your homepage a fun seasonal pan of your latest collection?Service-based? Set up a few time lapses of you doin’ your thing and working away. You can use video snippets like this to talk about your service packages.
- Quality over Quantity – Now again, all that being said… Don’t skimp on quality. Since I’ve been in the blogging world circa 2009, all I’ve had ingrained into my brain is ‘POST EVERYDAY!’ But we don’t believe that’s the best strategy anymore, at all.With so much going on these days, and so many different things, brands, and people clamoring for our attention, it’s too easy to numbingly scroll past things that start to seem forced and expected, or simply don’t connect with us at all.Audiences are hungry for unexpected, honest, and quality content. Taking the extra time to really think about your viewer and create with them in mind, rather than just slapping something pretty up because you think you have to post anything that day, really will take you further.
- Influencer Marketing Hits It Big – Paid advertising gets bigger and bigger every year, and 2022 will see the highest influencer marketing spend to date. Knowing your audience inside and out, and who they love to follow, listen to, and trust, can pay out big when you work with the right influencers for your brand.From micro-influencers (technically defined as those with 10k-50k followers) to the big ole ones (50k+), influencer marketing could be the perfect way for you to reach the exact customers and clients you’ve been looking for. Go ahead and give it a try this year!
- Empathy & Mental Health in the Workplace – Verb House Creative (our big sister brand!) is a place of radical empathy and I believe it’s because we know living, working, and creating from a place of empathy always works! Speaking as an employee of VHC, I feel value and worth knowing that my boss allows family and mental health to come as first priority.In 2022, almost every single one of us has seen and experienced what burnout or an unhealthy work/life balance looks like. In both the long and short run, having an inflexible work schedule or working with a business or company that simply doesn’t allow for mental health and LIFE to happen is far, far, far too harmful for any of us to continue to participate in. I think that’s why the great resignation has taken the U.S. by storm as of late – when there’s little to no empathy and understanding in the workplace, no one can flourish.At Verb House Creative (and Stock House!), we’re changing the marketing game with approaches and strategies rooted in radical empathy. And we think it’s high time the rest of the workplaces follow suit!
And because every year is influenced heavily by the least fashion trends, we also bring you our 2022 FASSSHHUUUNNN trends report:
- Pantone Color of the Year – PANTONE 17-3938 Very Peri has officially staked its claim on 2022. Allie (Stock House owner!) personally despises this color, but I (Amanda) personally love it!”
Displaying carefree confidence and a daring curiosity that animates our creative spirit, inquisitive and intriguing PANTONE 17-3938 Very Peri helps us to embrace this altered landscape of possibilities, opening us up to a new vision as we rewrite our lives. Rekindling gratitude for some of the qualities that blue represents complemented by a new perspective that resonates today, PANTONE 17-3938 Very Peri places the future ahead in a new light.
We are living in transformative times. PANTONE 17-3938 Very Peri is a symbol of the global zeitgeist of the moment and the transition we are going through. As we emerge from an intense period of isolation, our notions and standards are changing, and our physical and digital lives have merged in new ways. Digital design helps us to stretch the limits of reality, opening the door to a dynamic virtual world where we can explore and create new color possibilities. With trends in gaming, the expanding popularity of the metaverse, and rising artistic community in the digital space, PANTONE 17-3938 Very Peri illustrates the fusion of modern life and how color trends in the digital world are being manifested in the physical world and vice versa.” -Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director of the Pantone Color Institute
- Oversized Everything! – A far as fashion trends go… It’s oversized everything for the foreseeable future. And tiny, tiny sunglasses and purses. Thanks, 90’s style revival.
- And neon in 2022 – Lots and lottttssss of neon and bright colors coming our way! We don’t hate this one! Also, the UGG boot made a comeback, so good for her.
Welp, there you have it! There’s a lot ahead in 2022 – both joyous moments and hard moments, both failures and plenty of successes, both fun times and hard. And as cheesy as it sounds, we’re excited and honored to be on this small biz journey with you, friend. Now let’s go enjoy 2022 for all it has to offer!
We’re your fun styled stock besties
Here to help you market better 👏🏼
Join us for photos & marketing resources✨
@verbhousecreative’s little biz sister